Sneads Ferry. Aka Snead’s Ferry or “The Ferry”.
This little town located next to the New River Inlet, has the best characters. The nickname alone shows the residents are full of spunk and humor. Camp Lejeune is located just across the Inlet, making The Ferry especially attractive to military and contractors who work on base. It’s nestled between the New River and The Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.
Note: The Census Designated Place of Snead’s Ferry is much smaller than what is actually considered Sneads Ferry by address. It is made up of a larger unincorporated area of Onslow County called Stump Sound, and the addresses can change depending on the database. For this overview, we are using approximate locations within the same zip code – 28460). Fun Fact: North Topsail Beach also uses 28460, however NTB is not included in this article.
SNEADS FERRY STATS
- The population doubled from 2010 to 2014, and the next census is bound to show even more growth. It’s a great place to live, and that word is out.
- Dixon Middle School (118 Ridge Field Ave, Sneads Ferry)
- North Shore Academy (1355 NC Hwy 210, Sneads Ferry)
Dixon Elementary School and Dixon High School are not far from the middle school, but they use the zip code for Holly Ridge (28445).
Average summer temp: 78 degrees F
- Summer’s are hot and humid, which doesn’t really matter since the beach is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. The ocean breeze always helps. It has snowed a few times in the winter here, and there is something just breathtaking about seeing snow on the beach.
Distance to beach: 6 miles
- It’s located directly on the Intracoastal Waterway. The beach is super close “as the crow flies” but it will take a whopping 10 minutes to drive there. Oh the horror.
Super Market Chains: 1
- Food Lion (which is open 24 hours in the summer for our guests!)
Food: A variety of fast food chains and small local eateries.
- A common favorite is the Sneaky Freaky Bake Shop. Minervini’s New York Bagel Company is the best. There’s other standard restaurants like Denny’s, McDonalds, Taco Bell and plenty of pizza places.
- This water front town isn’t built for superstores, and we like it that way.
Parks: Stump Sound Park
- Tennis courts, fenced in children’s play area, ball fields, and a pavilion. The ground in the play area is sound, which will fill your children’s shoes, but it creates a great cusion for fall. Those with little ones love the fence.
Nearest Target: 25.2 miles
- Sneads Ferry is closer to Jacksonville then Wilmington, but the Wilmington Target is just 15 miles further, so you really have your choice. If it’s a military pay day (1st & 15th) then go to Wilmington to avoid crowds.
Nearest Walmart: 24.2
- The Walmart in Wilmington is just 5 miles farther than Jacksonville, and those who shop at Walmart usually have strong feelings about which Walmart stores are worth their time and which should be avoided. You can test them both and make the decision yourself.
- The Sneads Ferry bridge is a beautiful drive and spans across the New River inlet. It connects Sneads Ferry to Camp Lejeune, so unless you the credentials to get on the Marine Corps Base, you will have to turn back around after you get to the other side. There is a wildlife viewing area available to the public that is really pretty and a good site for photos.
- The High Rise Bridge, as it is referred to, connects the mainland of Snead’s Ferry to North Topsail Beach. This is a stunning view of the marsh lands and the Intracoastal Waterway.
Boat Launches: Too many to count
- All over (but mostly private)
- NC Wildlife Resource Commission maintains a large boat access located at 310 Fulcher Landing Loop Rd on the New River
- Old Ferry Marina
- New River Marina (hosts the Sneads Ferry King Mackerel Tournament)
- Sneads Ferry Marina
- Swan Point Marina
Golf Course: 1
- North Shore Golf Course (101 N Shore Dr, Sneads Ferry)
Public Library: 1
- Sneads Ferry Branch Library (1330 NC-210, Sneads Ferry)
- Stones Creek Game Lands
- Sneads Ferry Shrimp Festival
- By RCI Staff