Monday through Friday, Topsail High School in Hampstead operates as a public school for grades 9-12. But on the weekend, Pender County rents the building to a wide range of organizations, including Renovation Church.
Renovation Church, or Reno as the locals call it, was launched on Easter Sunday in April of 2015. Since then, they have grown exponentially, with a bold vision of serving the community.
“The name Renovation comes from the Bible, in 2 Corinthians 5, where we see that with Jesus an old life is made new, renovated by the life-changing power that can only be found in him. It is in that scripture where he also compels his followers, his ambassadors in a lost and broken world, to reconcile people to Him.” – Renovation Church website
Twice a year, Renovation Church serves the community in a spectacular way. They call it “For Our Neighbor Day.” Additionally, they host a Summer Serve Week where hundreds of volunteers spread out across the county, serving various needs in the county.
Renovation Church provided the following information about their serve days:
- We have had over 1,000 volunteers serve throughout 2018 and partnered in specifically serving:
- 9 schools over two counties – the entire Topsail School district and one neighboring school in Onslow County
- Regularly assist a Food Pantry Ministry that feeds over 600 people in our local community (Share the Table)
- Provided 100+ book bags filled with school supplies for back to school needs
- Gave away 100 pre-made Thanksgiving boxes in partnership with CHAPS (a holiday assistance program)
- We’ve had the opportunity to invest time and resources into each school’s outside activity space, building gaga ball pits, benches for additional seating, rebuilding their flower beds and walkways.
- The most exciting transformation we’ve been able to be a part of was actually the vision of Topsail Middle School’s former Principal Romero-Lehrer. She had a vision for their auxiliary gym to have a dual purpose, physical education and extracurricular activities, but also used for performing arts such as chorus concerts and plays. We collaborated with several contractors and pulled together volunteers to pull of a $25,000+ overhaul of the space, including new bathrooms, a custom paint job, and reframing of their pre-existing performance stage.
More information about Renovation Church’s projects and statistics can be found on their website: https://www.renoannualreport.org
Hurricane Florence Relief
Many local churches are dedicated to pouring into their community, and it’s a beautiful thing to witness. Renovation Church caught our eye due to their incredible hands-on commitment to families in the Hampstead community after Hurricane Florence caused destructive flooding. Teachers, parents, students, pastors, the young, and the old, worked tirelessly, side-by-side to clean up from the hurricane.
Renovation Church has Sunday church services at 9:15am and 11:15am at the Topsail High School, located at 245 N. St Johns Church Road, Hamptead, NC 28443.
Learn more about Renovation Church on their website at:
Find them on Facebook @RenoHampstead
Do you have more information about those who tirelessly are serving the Topsail community? Email us with the details.